This article focuses on the use of typography to create “impact” and “drama” when designing posters. Poster design almost certainly requires text to be effective, this text will often include key information – dates, names, locations, times. It follows that typography can be an extremely useful (and critical) tool in poster design.
Below are 50 posters that rely heavily on typography or use typography creatively. The graphic designers have used bold typefaces, contrasting and bright colors. The posters show once again how creative type can be. We can use words and lettering to create portraits, or to communicate the facts about an event. But type is not just about presenting the literal information in the words. It can convey deep meaning using form, colors, lines and in some cases volume. Treat your type not just as words, but as images and see how dramatic your message can become.
I have categorized these posters into vintage/retro, portraits, movie, hand-drawn and 3D.
- Going Up: Vertical Lettering in Web Design
- 10 Incredible Text Masking Effects Examples
- 35 Inspiring Typographical Illustrations
- Making a Statement: The Use of Stacked Text Blocks in Web Design
- 40 Creative Pictogram Recreations of Popular Movie Posters
- The Rise of the Hand-Written Typography Trend in Web Design
- Humorous Puns Illustrated Posters for Designers
- 10 Amazing CSS & HTML Retro Type Effects