This article focuses on the use of typography to create “impact” and “drama” when designing posters. Poster design almost certainly requires text to be effective, this text will often include key information – dates, names, locations, times. It follows that typography can be an extremely useful (and critical) tool in poster design.
Below are 50 posters that rely heavily on typography or use typography creatively. The graphic designers have used bold typefaces, contrasting and bright colors. The posters show once again how creative type can be. We can use words and lettering to create portraits, or to communicate the facts about an event. But type is not just about presenting the literal information in the words. It can convey deep meaning using form, colors, lines and in some cases volume. Treat your type not just as words, but as images and see how dramatic your message can become.
I have categorized these posters into vintage/retro, portraits, movie, hand-drawn and 3D.
- 10 Examples of Using Creative Typography to Establish Brand Identity
- 30 Beautifully Designed Minimal Movie Posters
- 30 Examples of Beautiful Typography in Print Ads
- 10 Stunning Examples of Text Distortion Effects in Web Design
- 40 Inspirational Examples of Typography in the Wild
- 8 Excellent Examples of Using Stacked Text Blocks in Web Design
- 10 Amazing CSS & HTML Retro Type Effects
- 10 Code Snippets for Creating Stunning Text Masking Effects
- 12 Inspiring Examples of Mixing Solid & Hollow Fonts in Web Design
- Going Up: Vertical Lettering in Web Design