Paper prototyping is a commonly used low-cost usability method for testing and evaluating web designs and applications. This approach lets developers conduct tests before a single line of code has been written, and allows you to identify and fix any potential issues early on in development.
“Paper prototyping is a variation of usability testing where representative users perform realistic tasks by interacting with a paper version of the interface that is manipulated by a person ‘playing computer,’ who doesn’t explain how the interface is intended to work.” Quote from Carolyn Snyder.
In this post we have collected our top 10 videos that not only illustrate how useful paper prototyping can be, they also show you how to cost effectively conduct your own tests and some of the videos have been animated, which are just fantastic to view.
If you would like to know more about Paper Prototyping, you can try these useful resources:
- Paper Prototyping by Shawn Medero (A List Apart)
- Paper Prototyping: Get User Data *Before* Coding
- Paper Prototyping Methods (UsabilityNet)
- Five Paper Prototyping Tips (uie.com)
Paper Prototype Animation
Hanmail Paper Prototype
This video is a paper-based prototype for Daum's web mail service, Hanmail.net made with Ajax.
Usability Testing with a Paper Prototype
The video shows a Usability session with a paper prototype of a leave application.
Paper Mock-Up – Trip Plannin Concept
Lo-fi Web Prototyping
PhotoTron Paper Prototype
Paper Prototype Testing for User Centered Interface Design at Ai Minnesota.
Paper GMail Art
This video is not quite a paper prototype usability test, but it is pretty cool, and it has been built with paper after all. Its a video that Saatchi Moscow created and produced for Google to attract more Russian people on GMail. Enjoy.
- A Client’s Role in Website Accessibility
- Get Real-Time Global Market Data with the marketstack Stock API Sponsored
- An Ode to Adobe Flash: How It Helped Move the Web Forward
- The 5 Biggest Pains in Website Maintenance
- 10 Beautiful Free Themes for Sublime Text
- How CSS Variables Can Improve Efficiency and Consistency
- Helping Your Clients Master eCommerce
- Thoughts on the Early Adoption of Web Development Tools