Once upon a time, transferring just a few kilobytes of data between computers in different locations was considered near science fiction fantasy, or at least a cutting edge military computer science experiment. As our technology has evolved, the transfer of data has underpinned the backbone of our society.
Let’s not forget then that those little boxes we call modems, routers and switches were all born from a need to connect teletype machines together, transferring information at a stunningly slow 25 bits per second. At that rate, this post might take as long as 12 days to completely download.
In their quest to fully appreciate the invention of the modem, our friends at Broadband Choices prepared this spiffy infographic on the history of the modem.
Click the infographic to view the full size version
Charting the history of the internet 1MB at a time, infographic by BroadbandChoices.
- The 10 Best Free Templates for Creating Infographics
- The Web Design Process Periodic Table [Infographic]
- Why Faster Websites Make More Money [Infographic]
- The Smartphone Revolution Infographic
- What Is Using All The Bandwidth? [Infographic]
- Social Stereotypes Infographic
- The History of HTML5 in Line with Popular Culture Events (Infographic)
- What’s the Big Deal with Pinterest? [Infographic]
- The Designer’s Candy Store [Infographic]
- Give Your Website a Health Check Infographic