There is a difference between background lighting and backlighting. Background lighting refers to the light a photographer uses to illuminate a backdrop or background. Backlighting, on the other hand, refers to the main source of light being directly behind the subject; creating a glow around them. There are techniques that will allow photographers to use natural lighting to create this effect; but it is normally created with the help of artificial lights.
By using the backlit technique, photographers can add depth to their images. However, when used incorrectly, it will lead to unintended shadows and the film being overexposed. Keep in mind that not everything can be photographed well using the backlight technique because the stronger the light source is, the stronger the backlight will be.
If you are shooting in natural light during the middle of the day, the sun may be too high in the sky to create a proper backlight. Because the sun is high in the sky, the effect will extend from behind the subject to being on top of them. For complete backlighting, take the pictures during the morning or late afternoon where the sun is at a lower angle in the sky and covers the subject.
If you are shooting with artificial backlighting, make sure your subject is placed in front of dark-coloured backgrounds. This will make your subject stand out more as well as the glow or rim light created by the backlight being more emphasised. In this gallery, we will show you some of the finest examples of backlit photography. Use them as an inspiration for your own future photoshoots.
The Morning Stroll
- The Good and Bad of Stock Photography
- 20 Amazing Logo Templates for Photographers
- 30 Beautiful Examples of Infrared Photography
- The 10 Best Newsletters for Photographers
- 30 Stunning Examples of Wildlife Photography
- 25 Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography
- 10 Intriguing Examples of Levitation Photography
- 30 Stunning Examples of Still Life Photography
- 20 Stunning Examples of Food Photography & Tips for Effective Shooting
- Beautiful & Inspiring Collection of Cinemagraphs