There is a difference between background lighting and backlighting. Background lighting refers to the light a photographer uses to illuminate a backdrop or background. On the other hand, backlighting refers to the main source of light being directly behind the subject, creating a glow around them. There are techniques that will allow photographers to use natural lighting to create this effect, but it is usually created with the help of artificial lights.
By using the backlit technique, photographers can add depth to their images. However, when used incorrectly, it will lead to unintended shadows and the film being overexposed. Remember that not everything can be photographed well using the backlight technique because the stronger the light source is, the stronger the backlight will be.
If you are shooting in natural light during the middle of the day, the sun may be too high in the sky to create a proper backlight. Because the sun is high in the sky, the effect will extend from behind the subject to being on top of them. Take the pictures during the morning or late afternoon for complete backlighting, where the sun is at a lower angle in the sky and covers the subject.
If you are shooting with artificial backlighting, make sure your subject is placed in front of dark-colored backgrounds. This will make your subject stand out more, and the glow or rim light created by the backlight be more emphasized. We will show you some of the finest examples of backlit photography in this gallery. Use them as an inspiration for your own future photoshoots.
- The 10 Best Newsletters for Photographers
- 30 Stunning Examples of Wildlife Photography
- 20 Stunning Logo Templates for Photographers
- 25 Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography
- 30 Beautiful Examples of Infrared Photography
- 20 Stunning Examples of Super Macro Photography
- The Good and Bad of Stock Photography
- 50 Wonderful Black & White Photos with Partial Color Effects
- 25 Stunning Examples of Still Life Photography
- 40 Stunning Examples of Tilt-Shift Photography