The bokeh effect has a multitude of uses within digital art. It can be overused, sure. But it can also be simply stunning. Trying to recreate this look on your own would be a time-consuming task. Thank goodness for Photoshop actions, right?
What you’ll find here is a fantastic set of Photoshop actions that greatly simplify the process for making the bokeh effect. Most of these can be implemented with just one click and offer a wide range of stunning results.
It’s a good idea to try a few of these effects for yourself to see which would best serve your work. You’re certain to find something that works well, and that speaks to your specific needs. Now, without further delay, let’s jump right into the list!
More Photoshop Actions:
- 3D Effect Photoshop Actions
- Art Effect Photoshop Actions
- Black & White Photoshop Actions
- Cartoon Effect Photoshop Actions
- Cinema Effect Photoshop Actions
- Dispersion Effect Photoshop Actions
- Double Exposure Effect Photoshop Actions
- Glitch Effect Photoshop Actions
- HDR Effect Photoshop Actions
- Light Leak Effect Photoshop Actions
- Retro Effect Photoshop Actions
- Sketch Effect Photoshop Actions
- Text Effect Photoshop Actions
Free Photoshop Actions:
The Dual Light Photoshop Actions set creates a beautiful double light effect on any photo of your choosing and add smoke and bokeh effects. The final image is layered and can be customized in a wide number of ways. This action set also comes with 20 color presets.
Another action set you might want to consider is the Soft Focus Photoshop Action. This one works quite simply. Just add it to a specific area of a photo that you want to remain in sharp focus, then play the Action. The end result is a soft focus on the rest of the image which provides a bokeh effect.
The Bokeh Kit for Photoshop is another fantastic option. It’s minimal in effect but really cool and can transform your photographs in a variety of ways. This kit actually has a lot going for it, in that it’s not just a bokeh Photoshop action. It also comes with 8 bokeh gradients and 40 bokeh brushes to help give you more control over the end result.
This photo overlay package is chock full tools and resources for adding stunning bokeh effects to your photographs.
You might always want to check out the Holidays Bokeh Photoshop Action set. This one comes with just one action file and one brush file and is supplemented by a thorough how-to file. It’s completely easy to use, non destructive and compatible with all of the latest versions of Photoshop.
This is another great option designed with selfies in mind. This Photoshop action works by turning your selfies or iPhone photos into professional-looking photos by adding a bokeh effect. The action has 10 color effects that you can use as well to further customize the finished product. A help file and video tutorial are also included for your convenience.
The Brightum Soft Focus Photoshop Action is definitely worth considering as well. This action works by creating soft focus and light effects on your photos. All you have to do is select on area then click play. From there, you can make adjustments to color, contrast, and gradients as well thanks to 10 color presets and well-organized layers.
If you want to leave your viewers dazzled, the Shimmer Photoshop Action is a great option. This action works as follows: brush the area of the photo you want to add a sparkle effect to then click play. That’s it! The end result is bright area of the photo that draws the eye and looks like it’s shining with tiny pieces of glitter.
And check this one out! The Circles Animation Photoshop Action is a great one to add to your toolbox. With just one click, you can add soft focus light effects around The end specific area of a photo that you select. The end result is a sparkling effect that pulls in the eye.
The Glory Photoshop Action is super easy to use. All you have to do is fill in your chosen subject with a color of your choice, select a light direction, then play the action. That’s it! You can select from 8 different light directions and the end result is non destructive as well so you can undo the effect if you don’t like how it turned out.
The last action on our list is the Dreamy Photoshop Action. This one adds firefly effects with soft focus to your images. Select the area you want to highlight and click play. That’s all there is to it. This action comes with 10 color presets, graphic elements, and it’s layered and organized for convenient use (and undoing, should the need arise).
How to Install Photoshop Actions
- Download and unzip the action file
- Launch Photoshop
- Go to Window > Actions
- Select Load Actions from the menu and go to the folder where you saved the unzipped action file to select it
- The Action will now be installed
- To use the newly installed action, locate it in the Action panel
- Click the triangle to the left of the action name to see the list of available actions
- Click the action you want to play and press the play button at the bottom of the Actions panel
We hope you enjoyed this list of the best Photoshop actions for creating the bokeh effect. Bokeh is versatile and relevant for a wide number of photographs and design choices. And in the end, after you’ve experimented with a few of the actions provided here, you’re bound to capture a look that fulfills your artistic preferences. Best of luck!
- The 12 Best Photoshop Actions for Creating 3D Effects
- The 20 Best Photoshop Actions for Creating Retro & Vintage Effects
- The 12 Best Photoshop Actions for Comic & Cartoon Effects
- The 12 Best Double Exposure Effect Photoshop Action Sets
- The 10 Best HDR Effect Photoshop Actions
- The 15 Best Cinema & Movie Effect Photoshop Action Sets
- The 20 Best Photoshop Actions for Creating Stunning Dispersion Effects
- The 20 Best Glitch Effect Photoshop Action Sets
- The 15 Best Light Leak Effect Photoshop Action Sets
- The 12 Best Photoshop Actions for Creating the Duotone Effect