Tilt-shift photography is a photography technique that requires manipulating the camera or image so that a life-sized location or subject looks like a miniature-scale model.
The most important thing to remember when it comes to tilt-shift photography is that you want to take your photography from above, but not entirely from overhead. By not shooting from directly overhead, you will achieve the necessary depth of field, which will make your end photograph a lot more realistic.
You will also want to keep your scene as simple as possible as you won’t find an elaborate scene in a miniature model, which is what tilt-shift photography is trying to mimic.
One last thing to keep in mind is that you want to make sure your lighting is perfect, and if there are any people in the photo, they need to be relatively small. This will help you maintain the focal point of your image and avoid having too many details on people, just as you would in a model scene.
Once you have your perfect photo, you can begin the magical transformation with Photoshop or your favorite photo editing software. When you’re done, you’ll have a mini work of art that you can frame and enjoy for years to come.
If you would like to learn how to achieve this marvelous effect, we have posted some useful resources and tutorials at the bottom of this gallery. But first, take a moment to enjoy some of the best examples of tilt-shift photography from around the web.
Ermoupolis Village (Syros, Greece)
Looking down on Sydney Harbour
South Manhatten Tiltshift by Night
Just in case you do not have a camera with a tilt-shift lens (it is an expensive piece of kit after all), then you can use these Photoshop tutorials to give your photographs the miniature tilt-shift look. Here they are:
- Tilt-Shift Photography Photoshop Tutorial
- How to use Photoshop’s Lens Blur tool for tilt-shift fakery
- Tutorial: Tilt Shift via Photoshop
- 20 Stunning Logo Templates for Photographers
- 20 Stunning Examples of Food Photography & Tips for Effective Shooting
- 20 Stunning Examples of Super Macro Photography
- 20 Fine Examples of Backlit Photography
- 30 Perfectly Captured Examples of Candid Photography
- 25 Stunning Examples of Still Life Photography
- 25 Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography
- 30 Beautiful Examples of Infrared Photography
- 30 Stunning Examples of Wildlife Photography
- The 10 Best Newsletters for Photographers