Ajax has becoming very popular recently, but most designers seem to rehash the same script over and over (you’ll see it in a lot of WordPress Themes and Plugins). Perhaps we aren’t using ajax technology to its full potential, myself included. The list below is made up of the best FREE scripts available, they are all of the highest quality and more or less easy to configure. Give them a try.
I have tried and tested the top 22, and aim to try the rest, because to be honest they look pretty cool.
1. Lightbox 2 (http://www.huddletogether.com)
Description:Lightbox is a simple, unobtrusive script used to overlay images on the current page. It’s a snap to setup and works on all modern browsers.
Technology:Lightbox 2 uses the Prototype Framework and Scriptaculous Effects Library.
Description:Timeline is a widget for visualizing time-based events. It is like Google Maps for time-based information.
Technology:Ajax and DHTML.
3. Reflection.js (http://cow.neondragon.net)
Description:Reflection.js allows you to add reflections to images on your webpages. It works in all the major browsers – Internet Explorer 5.5+, Mozilla Firefox 1.5+, Opera 9+ and Safari. On older browsers, it’ll degrade and your visitors won’t notice a thing. Best of all, it’s under 5KB.
4. Pie & Donut Chart (http://www.amcharts.com/pie/)
Description:Pie & Donut (doughnut) is a very universal and fully configurable Flash chart. Using it, you can easily have good-looking, animated pies or donuts on your website. You can also use it for creating elaborate navigation menus.
5. Plotr (http://solutoire.com/plotr/)
Description:Plotr is a lightweight chart creating framework. It’s released under the BSD license.
6. Ajax Instant Messenger (http://www.ajaxim.com/)
Description:Ajax im is a browser-based instant messaging client. It can be used in conjunction with community, intranet, and social websites. No refreshing of the page is ever needed for this “web application” to work.
7. Starbox (http://www.nickstakenburg.com/projects/starbox/)
Description:Starbox allows you to easily create all kinds of rating boxes using just one PNG image.
8. Ajax Tabs Content (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/)
Description: This is a versatile script that lets you display content pulled from external files inside a DIV and organized via CSS tabs. A fully unobtrusive, CSS and HTML based script.
9. Drag and Drop Shopping (http://demo.script.aculo.us/shop)
Description: An excellent drag and drop shopping cart.
10. Progress Bar (http://www.webappers.com/progressBar/)
Description: A very stylish progress bar.
11. Thick Box (http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/)
12. Create Flickr Like Fields (http://dbachrach.com)
Description: The name says it all. Technology:Ajax.
13. jTip – A jQuery Tool Tip (http://codylindley.com)
Description: jTip, not unlike Thickbox, pulls data from the server using a hidden http request. It’s nothing that fancy…
Description: A smooth and stylish ‘accordian’ effect menu.
15. Unobtrusive AJAX Star Rating Bar (http://www.masugadesign.com)
Description:This is a rating bar script done with PHP and mySQL that allows users to rate things like can be done on Netflix or Amazon, all web 2.0-like with no page refresh.
And the rest…
17. Pie (Create ajax pie charts).
19. Ajax Inline Text Edit (This is a very simple script which only works with span tags).
20. Tabbed Content Browser (An Ajax powered tabbed content browser).
21. Table Sorting Script (An unobtrusive ajax Table Sorting Script).
22. Color Sphere (DHTML Color Picker).
23. Mapper.js (Thisallows you to add automatic area highlighting to image maps on your webpages (inc. export to SVG)).
26. Carousel (A Carousel Effect Image gallery).
29. Form Style Generator
30. Auto Complete (A MooTools Autocompleter widget that creates a unobtrusive and customisable suggestion box for input fields from variable data sources).
31. Active Collab (An open Source Project Management Script).
32. Greybox (A small unobtusive pop up script).
33. Ajax Poller.
34. Tablekit (TableKit is a collection of HTML table enhancements using the Prototype framework).
35. J-query Shoutbox (This script is based on jQuery library and Form plugin.
It’s very easy to setup it, also an archive is available for download so you can play with the files on your localhost).
36. Ajax RSS Ticker.
37. Highslide (It streamlines the use of thumbnail images and HTML popups on web pages).
38. Slideshow Viewer (Stylish gallery script with a ‘lightbox’ effect).
40. Loading XML into a page with xmlHttpRequest.