As clearly and concisely defined by Wikipedia, a blog is ‘a personal journal published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries (“posts”)…’. But when you do read back that definition you soon realize how far we have drifted away from it, especially over the last couple of years and particularly within the design community.
Once-upon-a-time a blog was a place where you could express your opinions, your thoughts, and your ideas. Nothing more, nothing less. Just your personal writing.
Nowadays though, a blog is viewed as many things (a marketing tool, a means for businesses to communicate with customers, a portfolio, an eCommerce solution, and on, and on…) and very rarely do you come across a new blog that fits into the definition I highlighted above.
Yes, I know that the web is continually evolving and that trends do come and go. But when I was researching this gallery, I found myself yearning for a bygone era when discovering a new personal blog, especially within the design community, could often be exciting and educational.
Anyway, back to this post, the good news is that I did manage to find 20 blogs, mainly from the design community, that not only do they meet the criteria set out by the Wikipedia definition above, but that are also beautifully and uniquely designed as well. Just as ‘blogs’ should be.
Here they are:
Rivers & Robots
Janna Hagan (A Student's Guide to Web Design)
Hardly Code Blog
- The Before & After Redesigns of Popular Design Blogs
- 10 Inspiring Examples of UI Style Guide Design
- The Beauty of Ultra-Minimal Web Design
- 20 Beautiful Restaurant & Food Websites for Inspiration
- The Hamburger & Mega-Menu Combination Design Trend
- 20 Sport Websites for Web Design Inspiration
- 25 Login & Registration Forms with Creative Designs
- 20 Business & Corporate Websites for Web Design Inspiration