Black and white photographs are generally considered to be dull when we live in such a vibrant and colorful world. Luckily, by using photo editing software like Photoshop, we can easily add color where it’s missing to give a whole new meaning to what the viewer sees and feels for any given image.
For example, taking a black and white photograph and adding partial color effects to certain key points of the shot is one of the most popular techniques amongst professional photographers.
This technique allows you to transform dull and boring black and white images into mesmerizing works of art with just a hint of color. Take a look at the examples featured below and you will begin to understand why this partial color effect is so popular.
Take for example the Yellow City image. A normally busy intersection takes on a whole different meaning when all you immediately see is the taxi cabs. It can also highlight the passage of time and it does a great job of drawing our attention to the most important part of the photo, without it feeling like it is being drowned in the noise of the surrounding color. It can make the ordinary seem extraordinary. It can make us feel something more powerfully.
So without further ado, take a look at some of the best examples of black and white photos that use a splash of color. Use them as an inspiration and don’t forget to check out the related tutorials to help you recreate those effects in your own photos.
Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
Sunset after the rain selective colour
Colors in B&W
Black and Blue
Tutorials & Resources
- Black and White with a Splash of Colour (Photoshop Tutorial)
- Mono, with a Dash of Colour (Photoshop Tutorial)
- A Splash of Color in Your Black and White
- Black and White… with the occasional splash of colour (Beautiful Examples)
- The 10 Best Newsletters for Photographers
- 20 Amazing Logo Templates for Photographers
- 15 Free PSD Coloring Templates for Photographers
- The 12 Best Photoshop Actions for Black & White Photo Effects
- 40 Mesmerizing Examples of Tilt-Shift Photography
- 20 Fine Examples of Backlit Photography
- Breathtaking Photography: Shooting in the Golden Hour
- 25 Stunning Examples of Super Macro Photography