Stereographic projection refers to the wrapping of a panoramic image into what many would call a tiny or wee planet, or the polar panorama effect. The final image can be done with very expensive fisheye camera lenses, however; they are usually achieved with a photo editing program like Photoshop. By making the image appear circular and wrapping into itself, it gives off the illusion that it is a small planet in its own universe. In other words, you can create a whole new world with this effect.
The best images you can use to make tiny planets are the 360-degree panoramic images. They are the best choice because the ends tend to line up perfectly to create seamless spheres. Alternatively, you can also ‘fake it’ or use a mirrored image to create these breathless planets. Faking it requires a few extra steps so that the seam isn’t as noticeable before turning it into a tiny planet. Mirroring the image also takes a few extra steps compared to a panoramic image, but the end result can be just as beautiful.
You can then create several planets and create beautiful final prints with them all in one. Or, you can take the exact same pictures at different times of day and year to create truly magnificent planets. Whichever method you choose, let your creative juices flow freely. In this post, we will show you 30 of the most beautiful and creative little planets out there. Use them as an inspiration for your next art or photo project.
The Photographer's Digital Toolbox
Unlimited Downloads: 500,000+ Photoshop Actions, Lightroom Presets, Brushes, Layer Styles, Mockups & Much More!
Tiny Planet II
De kleine wereld
Create Your Own Wee Planet
- How to make Polar Panorama with Photoshop
- Producing Polar Panoramas
- Planetize your world [without photoshop]
- 30 Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography
- 30 Perfectly Captured Examples of Candid Photography
- 25 Examples of Powerful Documentary Photography
- 30 Photographs Taken From Creative & Unusual Angles
- 25 Stunning Examples of Super Macro Photography
- 30 Beautiful Examples of Infrared Photography
- 20 Chilling Examples of Gothic Photography
- 30 Stunning Examples of Still Life Photography