Typography is one of the cornerstones of good graphic design. Selecting and manipulating typefaces is an art unto itself. Therefore, it’s no surprise that classic typography regularly makes its way into famous paintings and sculptures.
Below are some inspirational images of typography used in the fine arts to help give you a fresh point of view on typographic possibilities in future projects.
This sculpture is called “Sometimes I Think Sometimes I Don’t”, by Stefan Bruggemmann. It’s made from black vinyl lettering and white neon.
How cool is this typographic sink sculpture? Looks like Times New Roman, doesn’t it? Exhibited by Richard J. Evans at the Free Range Graduate Art & Design Show.
Protect me from what I want
Artist Jenny Holzer is known for her classic projections, which now grace hipster’s T-shirts and tote bags. Here’s a photograph of Holzer’s “Protect me from what I want.”
George Brecht‘s work is seen as a precursor to conceptual art. Here is Brecht’s “Void Stone”, which is most likely inspired by his fascination with Buddhism.
I’ve always loved‘s playful neon sculptures and how he uses type. Here’s one of his pieces called “One Hundred Live and Die.” Image via PBS.org’s Art in the 21st Century.
Viewers can only decipher the words “Avante Garde” when viewing Damien Roach’s wood and steel sculpture head on. From all other angles, it looks like a strange jumble of wood.
Here’s an image of the iconic “LOVE” sculpture by Robert Indiana. This is the original sculpture, housed at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. There are multiple casts of this piece in cities around the world.
‘s work employs dramatic typography. This image is from a 1991 installation Kruger did at Mary Boone Gallery in New York.
Wayne White incorporates typographic sculptures into his landscape paintings. This one’s called “Pot Dealer Small Talk.”‘s work Artist
- 30 Examples of Beautiful Typography in Print Ads
- 40 Inspirational Examples of Typography in the Wild
- 30 Beautifully Colorful Typographic Book Cover Designs
- 35 Inspiring Typographical Illustrations
- 25 Creative Album Covers with Stunning Typography
- 50 Creative Typographic Portraits
- Inferno Typeface – A Flaming Typographic Experiment
- 5 Alternative Methods for Typography Inspiration
- Type Scan Alphabet: Amazing Creativity Using Scalpel and Paper
- Alphabet: Re:Production – A Modern Experiment in Typography