For many ‘designers’ today, the ‘art of typography’ consists of picking a typeface – and, maybe if the audience is lucky, experimenting with leading, tracking, and kerning. That’s not to say that there aren’t many extremely talented designers working with type today. Typography is, of course, an intricate art-form.
As computers continue to increase in power, typographers working digitally have been experimenting with textures, lighting, and more to create awesome effects including a whole movement of 3d style work. But what about real-3d? Technical advances often spur a strong backlash, and typographers are no exception.
The designers below have literally taken their type off the page using materials including hair, cigarettes, toothpaste, underwear, and condoms to create beautiful 3d typographic works.
From Vladimir Zivkovic’s Google Earth project to Arjan Benning’s pinched skin alphabet, these designers are working with anything and everything to push the envelope.
- 35 Inspiring Typographical Illustrations
- 70 Examples of Beautiful Typography in Print Ads
- 30 Beautifully Colorful Typographic Book Cover Designs
- Typography as Art
- 25 Creative Album Covers with Stunning Typography
- 50 Creative Typographic Portraits
- Inferno Typeface – A Flaming Typographic Experiment
- 5 Alternative Methods for Typography Inspiration