For many designers today, the art of typography consists of picking a typeface – and, maybe if the audience is lucky, experimenting with leading, tracking, and kerning. That’s not to say that there aren’t many extremely talented designers working with type today. Typography is, of course, an intricate art form.
As computers continue to increase in power, typographers working digitally have been experimenting with textures, lighting, and more to create awesome effects including a whole movement of 3d style work. But what about real-3d? Technical advances often spur a strong backlash, and typographers are no exception.
The designers below have literally taken their type off the page using materials including hair, cigarettes, toothpaste, underwear, and condoms to create beautiful 3d typographic works.
From Vladimir Zivkovic’s Google Earth project to Arjan Benning’s pinched skin alphabet, these designers are working with anything and everything to push the envelope.
- 30 Examples of Beautiful Typography in Print Ads
- 30 Beautifully Colorful Typographic Book Cover Designs
- 35 Inspiring Typographical Illustrations
- Typography as Art
- 5 Alternative Methods for Typography Inspiration
- Type Scan Alphabet: Amazing Creativity Using Scalpel and Paper
- A Quick Look Into Evocative Typography: Trends and Examples
- 12 Stunning Abstract Business Card Designs for Inspiration
- The 30 Most Inspiring & Creative Resume Designs Ever
- 10 Stunning Business Cards with Simple Geometric Designs