Anything that can save time for a web developer is well worth its weight in gold. Whether you’re looking to cut loading time for your website or make light work of placing interactive elements into a design, these four tools could help speed things up:
YUI Compressor Home
These YUI Components take the guesswork out of adding cross-browser compatible Reset, Base, Fonts, and Grids Style Sheets to your website. You can use them individually or you can use their more efficient, minified file that combines all four. These CSS files are loaded from Yahoo!’s server, so your own server files can load in parallel with theirs, saving time. YUI provides information about how to adjust the font styles with a chart containing percentage equivalents of pixel sizes ranging from 10 to 26. If you want to customize the code yourself with Grids CSS, Base CSS, and Reset CSS, the code is available and open-source. In fact, while you’re checking out the CSS, be sure to take a look at the variety of other components available in the YUI library.
Yahoo! Design Stencil Kit
If you’re a developer who also designs, this kit will help make your job easier. Packed with a variety of commonly-used visual elements like calenders, form elements, buttons, and screen resolutions, this package can be downloaded in a variety of formats for free (including Fireworks, InDesign, and PNG). These elements also correspond with many of the components from the YUI Library, so the design matches the final output. That means even if you’re just handling the code, you can still send these stencils to your designer so the customer knows exactly what to expect in the UI design (and you know exactly how to meet those expectations).
Yahoo! Design Stencil Kit Home
Would You Recommend any Yahoo! Tools?
Whether you’re just now checking them out, or have already used them, would you recommend any of these (or other) Yahoo! Tools to other developers?
- Reasons to Say “No” to a Web Design Project
- How to Develop Your Signature Style as a Web Designer
- Common Pitfalls When Redesigning a WordPress Website
- Why We Unfairly Judge Other Designers
- The Challenges of Building a Modern eCommerce Website
- Getting Clients to Care About Their Website Long Term
- Taking a Look at Google Analytics 4
- Tips for Building Charity and Non-profit Websites
- 8 Free Resources to Help Web Designers with GDPR Compliance
- 8 Snippets for Creating Common Website Layouts with CSS Grid