Over the years web designers have seen many trends come and go. While very few design trends will ever be thought of as evergreen, those that do move on generally leave a small impression on the next generation of trends.
One timeless web design trend that has been around for quite a while and has imprinted its style onto many other popular trends is minimalism. But in more recent times we’ve seen the minimalist style evolve into a more extreme variant, something web designers are now calling ‘ultra-minimalism.’
Much like standard minimalism, to the untrained eye it might initially appear that all it takes to create an ultra-minimalist site is to strip away all of the non-essential elements and components, and merely replace them with whitespace. There’s much more to it than that. Deciding which elements to discard and keep is a skill in itself.
Every single pixel has to be carefully arranged to produce optimum results. Negative space must be understood and applied consistently. Having expert knowledge of typography and a trained eye for selecting the perfect color scheme are just some of the other creative skills you will need to create an ultra-minimalist web layout successfully.
What does a typical ultra-minimal website look like? Well, they tend to be beautiful, take a look for yourself:
The Complete Toolbox for Web Designers
Unlimited Downloads: 500,000+ Web Templates, Themes, Plugins & Design Assets
Acerola Agency (Web Template)
Brian Nathan Hartwell
United (Web Template)
Krome Portfolio (Web Template)
We ain’t plastic
Three Agency (Web Template)
Michiel de Graaf
Opta Photography Portfolio (Web Template)
- 50 Beautiful Examples of Minimalism in Modern Web Design
- Using ‘Spotty’ Backgrounds in Web Design to Grab Attention
- The Tiny Short Animation Trend in Web Design
- Add Cool Effects with CSS Blend Mode
- The Design Trend of Utilizing Monochrome Colors in Hero Areas
- Adding Warmth and Personality to Websites with Human Illustrations
- Harnessing Liquid Effects in Web Design
- 12 Stunning Retro Neon Effects in Web Design